Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Long Learning Curve

Lost most of the original post due to the vagaries of computer stamina. It was over wordy anyway. When did I stop saving them in MS Word first?

Long learning curves? Yes, certainly knitting - but right now cooking. I am - after all - married to "Mr. Picky." That would be Mr. Chirpchatty's alternate name. Although I must say he's been much more gracious and sensitive these days about what might or might not be so appealing about the dishes I've tried. Is it being in his 50's? Is it 26 years of marriage? Not sure, but I really appreciate the new "tude." Once again this year we both forgot our anniversary. We do this on a annual basis. Last year we remembered only because it was our 25th, and once I actually remembered it in advance of the date, I made hotel and restaurant rez right away and put them on the calendar. The Trixie dog got to go too.

Boy, I guess some things have changed in a year. We amuse ourselves (when we remember) by assigning different gifts for the anniversary year versus the ones from the traditional list. The 25th is supposed to be the silver anniversary. We made it the squeeze ball anniversary (having used up turnips the last year we remembered). You know...those spongy rubbery balls you squeeze to relieve stress and improve your hand strength? This year through much vulturing on eBay, I managed to find several in yellow and grey shaped like miniature brains. I have yet to find the coveted green brain that my doctor's lab tech has us squeeze when he draws blood.
We had a lovely Anniversary dinner with DFs Don and Sandi.

Part of my learning curve in cooking is attempting to cook Moroccan recipes in a Tagine (see picture below). All these recipes really should start out with "take every spice you've got out of your cupboard now - you'll need them all." Just as with knitting and sewing, I'm learning to read the entire recipe before I begin - otherwise there will always be a potentially nasty surprise in store. In sewing, your Vogue pattern may say "insert the sleeve and then take all placket pieces..." Insert the sleeve? How exactly is that done..? In knitting, you may be surprised to find - as with the reclaimed Elizabeth Zimmerman green sweater of much current excitement - that it may be knit in one color, but there are several steeks involved! In cooking, it may be that you come late to the realization that every house should have Ghee, Harissa and Rose Water in their cupboard for Moroccan cooking - no need to list them in the ingredients list. Surprisingly, Amazon Fresh (Amazon dot com's newish grocery delivery system) actually has all of these items.
You prepare the items in the bottom part of the Tagine,
and then cover with lid to steam and burble til done.

So, things are a little slow right now. Knitting a few things I promised to friends. I know I said that last year my resolution was only to knit for myself and the husband and that I totally flunked that one. I should have amended that to say I really like knitting for others, as long as there is no set deadline involved. If I didn't like it, I'd be a knitting victim, and I've expunged that word from my personal description.
Every year I also miss the deadline for the Red Scarf Project. This is such a brilliant idea (see link) that I'm going to knit my first one in January and see if I can do one a month with no pressure. How hard is a scarf? It's car knitting! Red is not a color I usually buy for knitting, but the rules are not so rigid that it can't be a scarf close to red or with just some red in it. I'm such a fool for variegated yarn that I can handle that.

The big excitement for this week so far has been going to two banks in a row with the dog. They never fail to have biscuits, and as soon as we get in line for the drive-through, my more sensitive body parts are being tromped all over by Miss Impatience who has leaped into my lap!!!!

Yes, yes, they're working on it, I promise....

Alright alright, I'm getting it out now! (Love those pneumatic tubes.)
Leave the finger, don't chomp the finger, don't........sigh.....

2 Comments:

At 2:35 PM, Blogger The socklady said...

Love the pix of you and himself.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Madame Leiderhosen said...

Happy Anniversary! I second the charming photos!

After reading the recipe: take out ALL the spices and a couple little bowls (one, if you are lucky to add all the flavor at one go), take out the measuring spoons and dish them out into the bowl(s). Put all those little spicy containers away and then proceed and feel very, very competent. It's a little less overwhelming.

Have you seen the cookbook Arabesque? It's fabulous.

Miss you and love you much, Blossom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines http://rpc.bloglines.com/blogroll?html=1&id=dimsware@gmail.com